Shahbaz-e-Arifaan Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Pir Syed Bahadur Ali Shah Kazmi Al Mashhadi RA is the 28th Shaikh of the (Sarwari) Qadri Order.
Shahbaz-e-Arifaan Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Syed Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah Kazmi Al Mashhadi RA belongs to the family of Hazrat Imam Musa Kazim Razi Allah Ta’ala Anhu. His ancestors migrated from Mashhad, a city of Iran, to the Punjab province in Pakistan (the Indian Subcontinent) and settled around Rawalpindi. His family lineage is as follows:
Syed Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah RA son of Syed Fateh Ali son of Syed Shah Sharf son of Syed Kamal Shah son of Syed Gul Shah son of Syed Mohammad Kareem son of Syed Fateh Mohammad son of Syed Mohammad Mali son of Syed Mohammad Sajjad son of Syed Mohammad Malhu son of Syed Habib Allah son of Syed Mohammad Ghalib son of Syed Abdul Rehman son of Syed Mohammad Yousaf son of Syed Mohammad son of Syed Mohammad Farooq son of Syed Riaz-ud-Deen son of Syed Shahab-ud-Deen son of Syed Sultan Mohammad Fakhar-ud-Deen son of Syed Ghayas-ud-Deen son of Syed Abul Qasim Hussain son of Syed Mohammad Ameer son of Syed Abdul Rehman son of Syed Mohammad Sani son of Syed Ishaq Sani son of Syed Mohammad Musa Zahid Abi-ul-Hassan son of Syed Shah Alam Abi-ul-Hassan son of Syed Qasim Aleem son of Syed Mohammad Awal Abdullah son of Syed Shah Ishaq-al-Mofiq son of Hazrat Iman Musa Kazim Razi Allah Anhu son of Syed Imam Jaffar Sadiq Razi Allah Anhu son of Syed Imam Mohammad Baqir Razi Allah Anhu son of Syed Imam Zain-ul-Abideen Razi Allah Anhu son of Syedna Hazrat Imam Hussain Razi Allah Anhu son of Ameer-ul-Momineen Hazrat Ali Murtaza Karum Allah Wajhu son of Abu Talib Razi Allah Anhu.
The parents of Pir Bahadur Ali Shah RA first moved from Rawalpindi to Chakwal then Shorkot, Jhang district and finally settled towards the North West in a small town of Hassowali and adopted farming as their occupation. His father Syed Fateh Ali Shah RA was a mystic dervish and a religious man. He had great devotion and respect for Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA and visited his shrine very often.
Pir Syed Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah was born on Sunday August 16, 1801 AD (5 Rabi-ul-Sani 1216 H) at the time of Fajr prayer in the town of Hassowali, Tehsil Shorkot, District Jhang. The Light of Faqr was in his soul since eternity which enlightened his face. This made him distinct and prominent among his brothers.
Education & Early Life
Pir Bahadur Ali Shah used to go to the sacred shrine of Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA with his father, Syed Fateh Ali. During these visits Hazrat Sultan Bahoo blessed the soul of Pir Bahadur Ali Shah with Divine Enlightenment.
Then one day during his visit to the sacred shrine, Hazrat Sultan Bahoo ordered him to go to Shorkot and swear oath of allegiance at the hands of Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA. It is amazing to know that Pir Bahadur Ali Shah was born before the birth of his Murshid, Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA (Syed Bahadur Ali Shah was born in 1216 H while his Murshid was born in 1242 H). Syed Bahadur Ali Shah was twenty four years old and was already at the shrine when in 1241 H (1825 AD.) Pir Abdullah Shah came there. He remained at the shrine during the period of Syed Mohammad Abdullah Shah Madni Jilani RA’s persuasion and guidance to Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA. In 1825 AD when Sikhs attacked the shrine and all the progeny of Sultan-ul-Arifeen migrated to the surrounding areas, even then Syed Bahadur Ali Shah was staying in the shrine. He was also alive when in 1336 H the shrine was moved from Samandri town (Garh Maharajah) to the current location.
Spiritual Journey & Trust of Allah
After 53 years of esoteric upbringing, he was ordered to take outward oath of allegiance upon the hands of Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA. The April 2000 AD edition of the monthly magazine (page 18) “Mirat-ul-Arifeen” also verifies this. It states;
- “Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA ordered Syed Bahadur Ali Shah to swear outward allegiance upon the hands of the Perfectly Accomplished Man of the Sarwari Qadri Order. Syed Bahadur Ali Shah requested him with due respect to guide him spiritually about it. Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo (R.A.) told him to go to Pir Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA and also informed that he was staying in Shorkot. After hearing this Syed Bahadur Ali Shah left for Shorkot. After having the privilege of meeting Pir Abdul Ghafoor Shah he requested for having allegiance upon his hands. Pir Abdul Ghafoor Shah smiled and said, “You are bound to follow the order and so am I.”So, Syed Bahadur Ali Shah RA swore allegiance upon the hands of Pir Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA”.
He pledged allegiance upon the sacred hands of Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA in Shorkot on Friday August 2, 1861 AD (25th Moharram-ul-Haram 1278H).
Syed Bahadur Ali Shah used to spend the day in the service of his Murshid Pir Abdul Ghafoor Shah and the night at the shrine of Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA. Every night an esoteric Divine Assembly was held at the shrine in which all the successors of Sultan-ul-Arifeen RA seated sequence wise according to their ranks. Syed Bahadur Ali Shah had the last number so he sat at the end. One night when he was leaving for the Assembly, storm started. The boatman refused to take his boat across the river in such bad weather. Syed Bahadur Ali Shah could not miss the Assembly. Therefore, inspite of the bad storm he jumped into the river and swam across it. When he reached the sacred shrine and entered the Assembly, Sultan-ul-Arifeen asked his successor Naurang Sultan, who used to sit next to him, to let Pir Sahib sit at his place as he had reached there after a great effort. Since that day Syed Bahadur Ali Shah has been designated as the custodian of the Treasure of Faqr.
He is given the title of “Shahbaz-e- Arifaan” by Ghaus-ul-Azam Razi Allah Anhu. “Shahbaz-e-Arifaan” means “Falcon of The Divine Knowers”. He was given the title because of his highest spiritual flight in the world of Divinity. Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA lovingly addressed him with the name “Pir Sahib”. He is called “Syed” because he belongs to the family of Saddat. After the transference of the Trust of Faqr to him from the spiritual order of Sultan-ul-Arifeen, he was also called “Sakhi Sultan”.
According to the order of Sultan-ul-Arifeen, Faqr and all its matters are now decided under the supervision of Pir Syed Bahadur Ali Shah RA. All the extrinsic and intrinsic matters of the Seekers of Faqr are resolved and their ranks and statuses are decided by him. In “Karamat-e- Azizia” Sultan Mohammad Farooq writes, “Whenever Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz RA had any problem he used to go to the sacred shrine of his Murshid Pir Bahadur Ali Shah RA, presented it before him and got it resolved at once.” Pir Syed Bahadur Ali Shah RA took revolutionary steps in spreading the teachings of Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA. He got thousands of Ism-e-Allah Zaat made with gold. He used to write the Ism-e-Allah Zaat by his own sacred hands and sent it to a goldsmith in Multan for the gold coating. In this way he blessed thousands of Seekers of Allah.
Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz RA swore oath of allegiance on the hands of Pir Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah RA at the age of twenty one at the shrine of Hazrat Sultan Bahoo RA on Sunday March 13, 1932 AD (6 Zi’qad 1350 H) at the time of Isha prayer.
The miracles have very less importance in the Sarwari Qadri Order that is why the Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Leaders show a very few miracles intentionally.
Once Pir Bahadur Ali Shah went to his disciple’s home and one of his khalifahs and two mares were with him. The disciple was very poor. He had nothing to feed the mares. He requested Pir Sahib if he could take the mares to jungle so they can graze there. Pir Sahib permitted him. When the disciple went to take the mares back, they were not at the place where he had hooked them. He came back crying and said, “Hazoor Pir Sahib! The mares have been stolen. I am guilty and very unfortunate that you had a loss just because of me.” Pir Sahib compassioned him and then left for his journey. After that he kept asking about the condition of that disciple. Everyone informed him that he cries a lot in the sorrow of your loss. After 3 years Pir Sahib went back to the house of that disciple and asked him, “Why do you cry?” He replied, “I cry because you had a loss due to my mistake and misfortune.” Pir Sahib told him to go and check that place where he had left the mares. He went out and checked the place, the mares were right there in the field. He came back happily. Pir Sahib said, “You have been blessed because of your urge and true love for Murshid!”
Pir Bahadur Ali Shah RA wrote different eulogies and poetry for the travelers of the spiritual path. The poetry of Syed Bahadur Ali Shah is like an enlightened pillar for all seeking their path in the intrinsic soulful ways of Faqr. His poetry is in Punjabi and Saraiki except one dua (prayer) in Urdu and is as follows:
“Pak Kar Zulmat-e-Isiyaan Se Elahi Dil Mera
Kar Munawar Noor-e-Irfan Se Elahi Dil Mera
Aa Para Hun Dar Tere Per Har Tarf Se Hun Malool
Kijio Ye Arz Meri Apni Rehmat Se Qabool
Kuch Nahi Matlab Dou Alam K Gul-o-gulzar Se
Kar Musharaf Mujhko Tu Deedar-e-Pur-Anwar Se
Aa Para Hun Dar Tere Per Mein Gunahgar-o-Aseem
Fazl Kar Mujhper Elahi Ant Zulfazlil Azeem
Kar Mere Dil Se Tu Ay Wahid Doi Ka Harf Door
Dil Mein Aur Ankhon Mein Bharde Sarbasr Wahdat ka Noor
Kar Mautar Rooh Ko Bu-e-Mohammad(pbuh) Se Meri
Aur Munawar Chashm Kar Rooh-e-Mohammad(pbuh) Se Meri
Dil Se Parda Hasti Mohoom Ka Ma’doom Kar
Aur Hayat-e-Abdi Ata Ya Hayyu Ya Qayyum Kar”
Meaning: “Ya Allah! Remove the darkness of sins from my heart and enlighten it by the Light of Your Divine Knowledge. Dejected and weary, I have come to your Court. Kindly accept my humble request out of your Compassion and Mercy.
I have no desire for blessings of both the worlds, I only request you to bless me with your Vision.
I have come to your doorstep sinful and guilty. Please bless me with Your Favour and Grace as you own The Greatest Favour and Grace.
O’ The Only One! Let me get rid of duality and drown me in the Light of Oneness.
Let my soul be enriched with the fragrant perfume of Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and my eyes enlightened by the vision of his sacred countenance.
I beg before you to remove the veil of this illusionary unreal world from my heart and grant me an eternal life O’ the Immortal and Eternal!”
Spiritual Sufi Order
The Order of Faqr of Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA is Sarwari Qadri and he is the 27th Shaikh of the (Sarwari) Qadri Order
The Sarwari Qadri Order lineage reaches Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA in the following order:
- Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam
- Hazrat Ali bin Abu Talib Karum Allah Wajhu
- Hazrat Khawaja Hassan Basri Razi Allah Anhu
- Hazrat Shaikh Habib Ajmi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Daud Tai RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Maroof Karkhi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Sirri Saqti RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Junaid Baghdadi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Jafar Abu Bakr Shibli RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Hars Bin Asad Yemeni Tamimi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Abu-al-Fazal Abdul Wahid Yemeni Tamimi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Mohammad Yousaf Abu-al-Farrah Turtoosi RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Abu-al-Hassan Ali Bin Mohammad Qureshi Hankari RA
- Hazrat Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi RA
- Ghaus-ul-Azam Hazrat Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Razi Allah Anhu
- Hazrat Shaikh Taj-ud-Din Abu Bakr Syed Abdul Razzaq Jilani RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Jabbar RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Mohammad Sadiq Yahya RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Najm-ud-Din Burhan Puri RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Fattah RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Sattar RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Baqqa RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Jaleel RA
- Hazrat Shaikh Syed Abdul Rehman Jilani Dehlvi RA
- Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA
- Sultan-ul-Tarikeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Syed Mohammad Abdullah Shah Madni Jilani RA
- Sultan-ul-Sabireen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah RA
- Shahbaz-e-Arifaan Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Pir Syed Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah RA
After transferring the Trust of Faqr to Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz RA, this bright sun of Faqr apparently sat down on Tuesday, February 27 1934 AD (14th Ziq’qad 1352 H). His sacred shrine is at “Pir di Bhanairi”, village Fareed Mehmood Kathia which is located in Shorkot Jhang road, 13 km from Shorkot and 2 km west from Adda Qasimabad. There is a beautiful mosque next to his shrine. His shrine is the reflection of the sacred shrine of Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo RA. The initial construction of the shrine was done by Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz RA.
His Urs (death anniversary) is organized annually on 25th, 26th and 27th of February.
- Shams-ul-Fuqara–an encyclopedia of the teachings of Sultan-ul-Arifeen written by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman ISBN 978-969-9795-04-6
- Sultan Bahoo-The Life and Teachings: (Shams-ul-Fuqara in English): written by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman and Translation of by Yasmin Khurshid Malik Sarwari Qadri, Ambreen Moghees Sarwari Qadri, Neyn Tara Sarwari Qadri ISBN 978-969-9795-18-3
- Sufism:Heart of Islam written by Sadia Dehlvi ISBN978-93-5029-448-2
- Mujtaba Akhir Zamani-life history of the Mashaikhs of the Sarwari Qadri Order written by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman ISBN 978-969-9795-07-7
- The Spiritual Guides of Sarwari Qadri Order: (Mujtaba Akhir Zamani in English): Written by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman and Translation of by Yasmin Khurshid Malik Sarwari Qadri, Ambreen Moghees Sarwari Qadri, Neyn Tara Sarwari Qadri
- Sarwari Qadiri Order ISBN9781158473861
- Kalam Mashaikh Sarwari Qadri–poetry of spiritual guides of Sarwari Qadri Order written by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman ISBN 9789699795237
- Mirat-e-Sultani written by Dr. Sultan Altaf Ali
- Tazkira Auliya-e-Jhang’ written by: Iqbal Zuberi
- Tazkarah-tul-Auliya written by Hazrat Farid ud Din Attar RA
- Tareekh-e-Jhang written by: Iqbal Zuberi
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Sufis by N. Hanif ISBN 9788176250870